Thursday, September 15, 2011

Heave ho to Idaho!

Last weekend, I ventured out on what will likely be one of last ever road trips sans baby. My mom & I drove out to Lewiston, Idaho where we share roots with some pretty wonderful folks. The drive, the place and of course the people are pretty near and dear to my heart and I was way overdue for a visit. We attended the wedding of one of my cousins (well, my second or third cousin, actually...but who needs labels), and the party doubled as a sort of family reunion with lots of laughs and good times.

Driving along the Columbia Gorge. Some of it is dramatic and beautiful...


But most of the drive is pretty much like this.



G&J's in Umatilla.


Banana milkshakes at G&J's: A family tradition.


Sweet homeless kitty at a fruit stand near Walla Walla. I instantly feel in love and spent the next 20 minutes cuddling with her and thinking about putting her in the car with us. I was *this* close to doing so but decided that given her extensive vet needs and awful timing with other events in my life, I would think about it for a couple of days. We stopped back on our way home and the fruit stand folks were happy to report she'd been adopted by a some other nice travelers.


Mom with our fruit stand bounty: Washington cherries, Hermiston watermelon and sweet Walla Walla onions from the source. The farmer selling them actually had too many melons on hand and threw in a few extra for free. Score.


View of the hills from downtown Lewiston


My mom's cousin Karen & I.


Mom, Linda & I. You can't tell from this picture, but just an hour earlier it was 103 degrees in downtown Clarkston. Oh man, talk about hot. Thank heavens for the watermelon...

No comments:

Post a Comment