Sunday, October 14, 2012

Just Beachy

We have been total beach bums this summer/fall.  For various reasons, we ended up doing some pretty epic Oregon coast trips with James in tow.  Last winter, we did Rockaway Beach with my dad and his girlfriend, in June we drove out to Seaside with my mom, later stayed in Seal Rock in August, and in September stayed in Depoe Bay with my grandpa and his wife and met up with Adam's parents in Cannon Beach.  Lots of sand everywhere, sunshine, salty air and good times as a family hanging out in beach houses and playing in the ocean.  Also, we've eaten a lot of taffy.  Probably more than we should.  (What happens to taffy in your body, anyway?  Certainly feels like a big pile of glue sitting at the bottom of your stomach...can't be good.)

We are now total pros at doing the beach gig with James.  I've got an all-star packing list (yes, I absolutely have to write everything out in a checklist, lest I forget some life-saving item such as his teddy bear or pack n' play sheet) which we've reused over and over again.  I'm thinking of laminating it and then just leaving checkboxes to use with a dry-erase marker.  We usually leave during his morning nap and have traveled home right at bedtime, so his night starts in the car and it's pretty easy to carefully carry him inside and transfer him to the crib once we're home.  I'd like to say that James like the ocean (and he kinda does....or is at least mesmerized by it and loves sand) but the truth is we go for us.  With Adam working on most of my days off, it's some rare time we get without distractions, work, phones/computers/bills/stress to just be together.



Grandpa Wes, James, dog Sarah & I.  She was so sweet with James...watched over him when he'd crawl away from us and kept tabs on him.






Whale watching in Depoe Bay



Just another beautiful Bella Beach sunset.  Is there anything more wonderful than having your handsome husband carrying your sweet baby on his back and holding hands on the beach with you?


Not as happy about Cannon Beach.  Think there was some teething going on here...


Playing with his sweet Nana, who always makes him smile.







My Grandpa Wes.  He's one of the most wonderful men I've ever known.  Volunteers as a poker dealer at the VA nursing home in Denver.  Is a respected elder in the Unitarian church he belongs to and is a frequent speaker there.  Writes historical fiction.  Learned to paddle board this year at  the tender age of 80.  Eats a mix of hardcore whole grains he calls his "horse feed" every single morning.  Sent me recorded tapes of him reading my favorite books as a little girl.  Trained his lab Sarah as a therapy dog to bring into hospitals.  Gardens, builds, is a die-hard Rockies fan and keeps a manual scorecard at every game.  Makes us laugh with his sly sense of humor and sharp intellect.  So grateful to get to share my family with him.  Secretly want to be just like him when I'm 80.



No comments:

Post a Comment